Reflections On One Year Of Blogging, Inspiration To Start A Blog [new post]
With over 80 published posts, 3,300+ visitors and 5,800 views, not to mention nine guest contributors Melanin Mind & Soul turns ONE! Here are some reflections on one year of blogging (mostly from a beach hammock in Nevis) to inspire you to take action to achieve your goals today, rather than put it off tomorrow.
Blogging for personal and professional growth
Rather than launch with the “2017 New Year, new me” type post – Melanin Mind & Soul: how it all began went live in December 2016 from my aunts kitchen. I started, what I had been putting off for years (no exaggeration). The blog has been a place to share my personal journey of self discovery. As a result I’ve met with other writers, brands and businesses, developed my personal, professional, technical and networking skills while also inspiring others to do all of the things that they want to do.
Since quitting my job in England UK and relocating to the Caribbean island of Nevis, people from the diaspora have messaged me wanting to also visit their home land. Others want to do a Dom and take time out for rediscovery. Personally I’m humble that I inspire people to take chances and try new opportunities. So, whatever your passion is, do it today, rather than three years later like myself. You never know who you will inspire!
Reflections on one year of blogging 2017 highlights
Writing is my passion. However, blogging is more than just producing content and hoping that people will read it. It’s time consuming, involving a lot editing (words and pictures), than promoting the posts to inform people. If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way and below are some of my top 2017 posts:
- In the most popular post Nevis local lingo, I shared how words and phrases in Nevis differ to those that I am accustomed to in the U.K. in the summer.
- One of my biggest highlights has been an interview with ex-NFL football player/ film director about his short film Hair Love.
- I then resigned from work to focus on myself in the pursuit of happyness and decided to live on an island where most of my content over the past year has been published. Most people I know have never heard of Nevis. So instead of shying away from explaining that Nevis is *not* in Jamaica, my favourite posts have been on Nevis as the “local foreigner”. I shared how my love of the island had led me to take time out from conventional life in London and exploring opportunities in Nevis.
- One of the biggest highlights has been the series of guest bloggers. Guests found working together was professional. They said they learned things that they can use in their blogs, based on the format used here. Requesting guest bloggers was also an opportunity for visitors to read content from like-minded content creators. Shout out to contributors Annika Spalding, DAfrican Lady, Saabirah Lawrence, Jason R-T, DKUNCOVERED, Vernon, True Colours Flo, Nicole V. Andrew, and #ItsHerMelanin.
5. Whilst I was in St. Maarten for carnival, spending time with my cousins inspired me, as they are very encouraging and supportive. I vocalised the vision to empower women and develop a hub that will improve the quality and efficiency. I met with Rochelle Ward from Don’t Break The Comb where she gave useful tips on how to start a business.
The blogging adventure
In sum, the first year of blogging has been a great adventure. I have learned a lot of technological skills, met great people, and stepped way out of my comfort zone. I’ve learnt new web skills that made my brain hurt and almost brought me to tears 😭. More importantly as a blogger, I learned how to improve traffic to the site and network virtually whilst I am in Nevis. Melanin Mind & Soul has an international audience from the UK, America and St. Kitts and Nevis. Additionally to readers in places I never knew Melanin Mind & Soul could reach, such as India, the Philippines and Sweden.
So, after my reflections on one year of blogging for 2018, the plans are to produce much more for the HAIR POP category and write more hair related content. I will continue to surround myself with positive people and brands, and develop my own brand to inspire this audience. Happy New Year! In 2018, set goals and put actions in place to achieve them. I am so glad that I didn’t put off blogging for another year. I have learned so much about myself, my abilities and I have met some fantastic people along the journey.
If you would like to collaborate or contribute to one of the four categories, please get in touch on email@example.com or on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. We are now taking including adverts to promote black businesses.
If you are inspired on my reflections on one year of blogging then leave a comment below on what do you want to see next on Melanin Mind & Soul?